Saturday, June 25, 2011

i drove. i cried.


i want you to hear this song. though if you hear this song you may cry as i did when i heard it for the first time this morning on the radio on a drive into the suburbs, kleo sound asleep, in reverie. i don't know why it moved me so quickly...yet gently. yes, a good morning song it was, even if it hurt. even if i cried, it was a cry i needed to feel today. and what i felt was not unlike mixed up sensations of nostalgia and love and grief and knowing of something greater looking over me, over us. 
grateful kind of tears rolled down my face.

 i searched for the song so that you could hear it and found only its quiet, lovely lyrics. 
and now, imagine the tender voice and the acoustic guitar. the unassuming piano chords playing
just as i passed the lake i grew up watching, walking into and out of, 
the childhood i always love and miss.

here is the story behind the song.

a simple song of sorrow
- for Dereen Hildebrand. she made a difference. she is missed -
(c) steve slade (socan)
from the red CD: flying into inuvik
If i could sing a simple song of sorrow
I would speak your name into the wind
Then I'd sit and watch the mist burn off the valley
And wish that you were here with me again
If I could sing a simple song of sorrow
I'd sit and watch the sun rise and set
Then the moon would come and rest upon my shoulder
And I'd remember all the things I can't forget
And I'd remember all the things I never told you
And I wish I'd said I love you one more time
So I'll say it with this simple song of sorrow
That I'm singing in this not so simple time
And if I could sing a simple song of sorrow
I would write your name on every window pane
Then I'd stand there and watch you smilin' at me
And believe that you are here with me again
So I'd like to sing this simple song of sorrow
I will sing your name into the wind
And then I'll sit and watch the mist burn off the valley
And pretend that you are here with me again
How I wish that you were here with me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment